Here’s an easy way to make a dreidel using small milk cartons!
- Paint and paintbrushes
- Small milk cartons or boxes
- Clean out and fold back tops of milk cartons.
- Mix a little glue with paint and let children paint boxes.
- On each side draw one each of the following Hebrew letters: nun, gimel, hey, shin. These letters stand for “A Great Miracle Happened There.”
- When paint is dry, poke the pencil through the box from top downward, so point is on the bottom.
- You’re ready to spin!
Here’s how to play the dreidel game:
- Use pennies, nuts, raisins or chocolate coins (gelt) as tokens.
- A player spins the dreidel. When it stops, the letter that is facing up decides the outcome:
- NUN—nothing happens - next player spins the dreidel
- GIMEL—player takes all tokens in the pot '
- HEY—player takes half of the pot '
- SHIN—player must put one token into the pot