Spiced Angel Pecans
These angel pecans are truly heavenly! A perfect treat to make in the fall when pecans are freshly harvested, you can serve them to guests in your sukkah during Sukkot.
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Place egg white in a 2-quart bowl and beat with a whisk until light and foamy.
- Fold melted butter and vanilla into the whites. Add the nuts and gently stir to coat all the nuts with the egg white mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, allspice, and salt, and gently fold into the nuts to coat evenly.
- Spread the nuts onto a jelly roll pan lined with parchment paper, and bake for 45 minutes, stirring the nuts after the first 25 minutes. Nuts should be very crisp and dry.
- When completely cool, store in an airtight container or freeze in ziplock freezer bags until ready to use.
For Savory Nuts: Substitute 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce for vanilla, and use 1 1/2 teaspoons Lawry’s seasoned salt, 1/4–1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, and 1/4 teaspoon curry powder instead of the spices. Prepare as directed above.
For Orange-Spice Nuts: Substitute 1 teaspoon orange extract for the vanilla, and use 1/2 teaspoon cardamom instead of the nutmeg. Prepare as directed above.
- Beating the egg white for coating provides more surface area for the sugar to adhere to and makes the pecans more crunchy and “heavenly”!
- Pareve margarine or oil may be substituted for butter to make it suitable to serve at meat meals.