Pumpkin Sufganiyot (Gluten-Free)
These gluten-free sufganiyot (jelly doughnuts) should be served immediately for the best taste and consistency.
- Place butter in a 3-quart glass bowl and microwave on high for 45 seconds until melted. Add canned pumpkin to bowl and whisk until smooth and butter is incorporated.
- Combine the milk and lemon juice or vinegar and let rest for 1 minute. Add this to the pumpkin mixture along with the honey and whisk to combine.
- In a 2-quart bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Add the flour/spice mixture to the liquid ingredients, gently folding the mixture with a whisk until just combined. Let mixture rest for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat oil to 375° F in a fryer, wok or electric pan to a depth of about 2 inches. Crumple paper towels and place on a large plate or platter. Set aside until needed.
- Place jelly in a pastry bag fitted with a #0 plain tip (about 1/8 inch diameter). Set aside. Place cinnamon/sugar mixture in a soup bowl. Set aside.
- Using a 1 ounce food portion scoop or ice cream scoop with a release wire, gently scoop up a portion of the batter and place it into the hot oil. Quickly repeat this scooping with 5 more scoops of batter. Using a slotted spoon, bathe the top of the donuts with some hot oil.
- When donuts look golden on the underside (about 2 -3 minutes) gently turn them over and continue to fry for another 2 minutes or until golden brown and puffed up. Do not let donuts get too dark nor have them be too light.
- Immediately place donuts on the crumpled paper towel and allow them to drain while you cook another batch.
- Inbetween frying dough, toss the donuts in the sugar mixture and set on a plate.
- When all donuts are done and coated with sugar, fill each donut with a little jelly by holding the donut in one hand and inserting the tip of the pastry bag 1/4th into the donut. Gently squeeze the bag until you begin to see the jelly show on the outside of the donut.
- Serve immediately or within one to two hours for the best consistency.