Jamaican Pumpkin Pancakes
These pancakes are delicious topped with syrup, or turn them into a delicious pumpkin latke hors d'ouevre by topping them with sour cream and a touch of candied ginger or caviar.
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon ground allspice
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 ½ cups buttermilk
3 Tablespoons cold water
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ stick unsalted butter melted
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, allspice, salt and cinnamon in a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl with a whisk until foamy. Beat in the buttermilk, cold water, and pumpkin puree. Refrigerate until needed or proceed now with step 3.
- Add the melted butter to the pumpkin mixture and then fold the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture until the batter is smooth.
- Lightly grease a large skillet with additional butter and allow the pan to get fairly hot. Drop the batter by scant 1/4 cup onto the griddle and cook until the pancake is golden on the bottom and air pockets appear on the dry top. Flip the pancakes over and cook one more minute until underside is golden.
- Serve hot with butter and syrup.