16 Unique Haggadot to Enliven Your Passover Seder
Are you looking for a new Haggadah for this year’s Passover seder? Whether you’re interested in making your Passover celebrations a little more socially conscious or a little more magical, we’ve got you covered.
- Our Chocolate Seder for Children is intended as a preparation for Passover to help children feel more familiar when they encounter the traditional Passover seder. It’s not intended to replace your family’s seder. (And for adults who want their own chocolate seder, check out this Haggadah for a Socially Responsible Chocolate Seder from ReformJudaism.org frequent contributor Rabbi Debbie Prinz.)
Reform Haggadot from CCAR Press:
- A Passover Haggadah: This classic haggadah, available in English and Russian-Hebrew, has sold more than 1 million copies since its introduction. It contains a complete Passover home service, an extensive song section, and supplemental readings and meditations.
- A Children’s Haggadah: Through special foods, prayers and songs, children come to a personalized understanding of the miraculous event that is the Exodus. This 8-1/2" x 11" volume includes art on every page and a vibrant accordion fold-out of the seder plate.
- Sharing the Journey: The Haggadah for the Contemporary Family: The inclusive text, commentary, and original artwork in this new haggadah will make all guests – young and old, beginners and experienced participants – feel welcome at your seder. Songs to sing along with are available for download through iTunes.
- The New Union Haggadah: This thoughtful update of the 1923 original preserves the elegance of the original version while making it relevant to 21st-century families with full transliteration and contemporary, inclusive, and gender-neutral language.
- The Open Door: A Passover Haggadah: This haggadah includes traditional and innovative blessings, extensive commentaries and supplemental readings, contemporary additions like Miriam's Cup, women's and men's voices in gender-inclusive language, more than 40 pages of traditional, specially commissioned music, and full-color art.
Reform Haggadot from the Religious Action Center of Reform Judaism:
- Earth Justice Haggadah Companion: This haggadah companion is designed to remind us how Jewish tradition teaches us to care for the earth and all its living things. Use this adapted service either as a companion to your favorite haggadah or independently.
- From Oppression to Liberation: For the Pursuit of Reproductive Justice in this Generation Haggadah Insert: The readings in this resource packet, designed to inspire your commitment to reproductive justice, are designed to be read before you drink each of the four cups of wine.
- Immigration Seder Companion: Created by the social justice group Rabbis Organizing Rabbis, this insert on immigration reform helps relate the themes of Passover to this crucial and pertinent social justice issue.
- The Four Children: A Racial Justice Haggadah Insert: Use this resource, the perfect complement to the Reform Jewish community’s racial justice advocacy work, to spark conversation at your family’s Passover seder about the importance of racial justice.
Beyond the Reform Jewish Community:
- New this year, our friends at American Jewish World Service have created Next Year in a Just World: A Global Justice Haggadah.
- The Hillel Haggadah, On the Wings of Freedom, is perfect for Jewish young adults.
- The (Unofficial) Hogwarts Haggadah, from Rabbi Moshe Rosenberg and Aviva Shur will put a magical spin on your seder.
You can also look to Haggadot.com for all kinds of haggadot and supplements from Jews and Jewish organizations around the world, including this #BlackLivesMatter Haggadah from Jews for Racial and Economic Justice and this LGBT Haggadah from JQ International.
Which haggadot do you use? Do you use the same one every year for your seder, or do you like to switch it up? Let us know in the comments.